It's difficult to know how old the Carbonado Saloon really is. But relying on the verbal history from some locals and a bit of deduction, it is believed that the building was constructed in 1878 and moved to its current location in 1889. The building has housed the town's post office, a barber shop, and a dentist's office. It is believed to have been a bar since shortly after prohibition. It was originally known as the "Canteen," then became the Carbonado Tavern and later Carbonado Saloon.
Jon and Amber, the current owners, been fixing up the place while honoring its history (Jon, at least, has lived in Carbonado all his life). There are a lot of large photos lining the walls, and shelves of various collectibles and dive bar knickknacks. They serve some good bar burgers, have a fairly standard offering of beers and liquor, and a large sunny back patio. They're gracious hosts and happy to talk about the place. For anyone who loves old bars it is well worth a trip (including stops in Wilkeson).
Est. 1930s - Building constructed: 1878 - Current location: 1889
Previous bars in this location: The Canteen
Web site: facebook
Other links: - hmdb.org - yelp