Bars where Pete has had a Drink (5,812 bars; 1,754 bars in Seattle) - Click titles below for Lists:

Bars where Pete has had a drink

Monday, December 15, 2008

#743 - Heaven, Seattle (Pioneer Square) - 12/14/2008

Update: Heaven closed in 2010 and was replaced by Volume nightclub.

The old "Catwalk" with very little changed (except the Men's and Women's rooms inexplicably switched), and the crowd and vibe varying greatly with particular nights and events.

Historical Notes: This space is perhaps the most storied of current Seattle bars or clubs. In 1890 it was established by vaudeville pioneer John Considine as "The People's Theater," the most notorious of Seattle's old "box houses," where female performers sold drinks on the floor and more personalized services in the closed box rooms.  Considine brought big time acts like "Little Egypt" to the theater, and battled Pantages for theatrical crowds and even Wyatt Earp for a brief period.  In 1901 Considine and his brother were engaged in a shootout by ex-employee and ex-Chief of Police William L. Meredith.

As much or more than any other man, Considine helped establish Seattle's "Tolerance Policy," the well-established guidelines for paying off police that would last for 80 years and help nurture both the Jackson Street jazz scene and Pioneer Square gay scene.  The most epic example of the latter was "The Casino," (unofficially known as "Madame Peabody’s Dancing Academy for Young Ladies"), where drag queens and gays danced openly with each other, and their reputation attracted gay and bi people from all over the country including the likes of Rudolf Nureyev and Tallulah Bankhead.

Many years later (1994-2005), it became The Catwalk, hosting fetish fashion shows and various gothic and S&M themed events.

172 S. Washington St, Seattle, 98104 - 206.622.1863
Est. 2006 - Closed 2010 - Building constructed: 1890

Friday, December 12, 2008

#742 - Fourno's, Seattle (U District) - 12/11/2008

Bump and grind for Greek Row -- I'm surprised it took so long for a place like this on The Ave.

4733 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105 - (206) 729-5195

#741 - A-Pizza Mart, Seattle (U District) - 12/11/2008

An unpretentious but happening little night scene. Who knew?

5026 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105 - (206) 517-4000

#740 - Canterbury Ale & Eats, Seattle (Capitol Hill) - 12/11/2008

Update: Canterbury Ale House closed March 27, 2022

When this 38-year-old medieval themed dive bar went under in 2014, two Capitol Hill bar owners, Mike Meckling (Neumos) and James Snyder (Sam's Tavern) took over the space, giving it a large-scale sprucing up and installing a fancy menu by the former chef of Madison Park Conservatory. That menu, which included tater tots topped with steak tartar, scotched quail eggs, and mostarda coated chicken liver toast, was eventually dialed back to resemble a broad and fairly typical contemporary bar menu. The bar has 30 taps and unfancy cocktails, while other sections now allow families, pushing it a bit more toward a 70s style old English themed restaurant.

Canterbury Ale & Eats, Seattle

534 15th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112 - (206) 322-3130

Est. October 1976 - Closed March 27, 2022 - Building constructed: 1907
Previous bars in this location: Gaslight Tavern (1960s - early 70s)
Web site: - facebook
Reviews: seattletimes - capitolhilltimes - eater - seattlerefined - eateryelp

Saturday, December 06, 2008

#739 - The Shanty Tavern, Seattle (Lake City) - 12/05/2008

Historical Notes: The Shanty goes back to at least 1937, although it was previous located in a couple different locations up the road on Lake City Way. The 1937 listing has "Mack's Shanty" at 1937 Lake City (AKA Bothell Way AKA Victory Way), and it is listed in a few subsequent years under the name of owner Doris McLeod.  In the 1941 guide, Mack's Shanty begins appearing at an 8916 address, and then shifts to the current 9002 address around 1948.  In at least this last move, and perhaps the previous one, the actual building (constructed in 1932) was moved.  It continues to be listed as "Mack's Shanty" into 1960.  In 1961 it was purchased from the original owner by current owner John Spaccarotelli, and changed the name to just "The Shanty."